Although it wasn’t presented as a “rite of passage,” I can see that opportunity as a pivotal time of growth in my personal faith.
Regularly, during the Sunday Sermon, the pastor would cast and re-cast the vision of our church congregation being on on a whitewater raft. We were NOT a La-Z-Boy recliner church, we were on a whitewater rafting adventure and everyone would need to pick up a paddle to survive. Don’t sit back! Pick up your paddle, get involved, and serve in the name of Jesus.
I love that picture. But I listened to that message for years before I was able to pick up a paddle and serve. Finally, as I was entering seventh grade, I was told that I could pick up a paddle as a VBS Volunteer. What a thrill!
From that time seventeen years ago, I have not stopped serving. I was told that I could come on board the raft and I’ve been paddling ever since.
There is great power when you’re told that you can do something, given the opportunity to grow into it, and serve a cause that is bigger than yourself.
Question: When have you experienced a time of tremendous growth in your faith? Click here to reply.
This article is written by Ben Patterson
It is used courtesy of the blog What Families Do
Visit the What Families Do website for more articles and ideas about Intentional Family
YouTube You Can Use
Take time with your family to make a spiritual connection by watching a YouTube clip together.
2 Corinthians 5:17
The earth rotates at 1,040 miles per hour. If you feel like life is going by pretty fast you are right! Your body is literally moving faster than the speed every second of every day.
Some people may feel like their life is spinning just a little bit faster than everyone else. Maybe you struggle to manage all the stuff in your life? And maybe your life has begun to feel out of balance? This happens when one activity or hobby begins to define your whole life. Consequently, when that one thing doesn’t go well you feel out of whack
Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 5:17, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” In other words, Paul says that we won’t ever find balance and happiness in that old stuff. In Christ we are made brand new. When we are out of balance it’s because we haven’t put Christ at the center of our lives.
- Have you ever tried to balance something like you saw in the video? (Go ahead, give it a try!)
- Would you rather have great balance or great speed?
- What’s one are of your life that is completely out of balance right now?
Some of the most productive, brilliant inventors were people who lived horribly out of balance. Why do you think that was so?
1. We are currently inviting volunteers to lead a junior high small group at CHAOS in the Fall. The first requirement is that you must love Jesus. Are you up for it? If so, complete a CHAOS Small Group Leader Application by clicking here.
2. Have you registered for the Global Leadership Summit to be held at Orchard Hill Church on August 9-10? Whether at church, school, business or home, you are leading people and projects every day. You're leading in a culture that is constantly changing and redefining itself. Leadership takes perseverance, dedication and a commitment to stretch your mind, expand your heart and use your God-given gifts to impact your world in real and powerful ways. Join us!
3. This is the schedule of CHAOS Events at the beginning of the school year:
Aug 29 - Back to School Party! 6:15p-8p at Naz
Sep 05 - NO CHAOS
Sep 12 - First CHAOS of the School Year 6:15p-8p at Naz
We rock this message every Friday, are you getting it delivered to your email inbox? If not, then click here make it happen.
That's a wrap, make it a great day!
> The CHAOS Team :)
Ben | Nikki | Elliot