Up @ BIGhouse this week:
Greetings! Two more weeks left to go...we can't believe it! We're finishing up our "believe it, own it, live it" series this week. We truly believe we must equip our young people to own their own faith. They can't posses your faith, or one of the teachers from up front, but instead must put into practice their pursuit of God personally.
I can't think of how many times I want to "do" a student's faith for them, or spoon feed them. Now don't get me wrong, there IS a time and place for "spiritual milk". That's where the Corinithians were at in their faith journey as Paul was writing them. The people were still quarrelling, still dealing with sin from their "pre-Jesus" days, and were spiritually immature. But Paul still ministered to them, encouraged them, and pointed to them the truth, full in grace. If this is where your young adults are-keep pressing on!
There are also those whom, though, have been feeding on milk for awhile now. They've attended weekly ministry events, participated in Caravan and Mission Trips, and have been involved in years of small groups. They've taken notes, answered your questions in small group time, and have learned more and more stuff through teachings and discussions. It's now time for solid food! Training and walking with students to own their faith for themselves, and live it out loud...free from dependency of a weekly peer gathering. That is where discipleship continues on.
Just don't forget that whatever you do, it is God who makes things grow. (1 Cor. 3:6-9)
Small Group Questions:
· “How are YOU Living?”
· What things do you tend to ‘hide’ from your parents?
· “ “ “ “ “ hide from your friends?
· “ “ “ “ “ hide from your boyfriend/girlfriend?
· “ “ “ “ “ hide from your small group leader???!!! ;)
· “ “ “ “ “ hide from GOD?
· How do these ‘secrets’ affect your relationships with each of the above?
· Share a time when what you were hiding was ‘found out?’ (Brought to light?)
· What was the result? Consequence? How did it change your future actions?
· Share a time or place where you feel like you have to ‘prove’ yourself? Why do/did you feel like you had to prove yourself?
What are some stories of you trying to prove yourself ending in total failure or embarrasment?
· Why is it so hard to humble yourself and not be a ‘one upper’ in conversations & relationships?
What are THINGS in your life you’re holding onto too tightly? Material/physical things?
Share a time when someTHING you owned/had was broken/lost/stolen...how did it make you feel? What was your reaction?
· Who are people you know / see that seem have ‘it’? Freedom?
· Who are people you know / see that seem to be fully ‘alive’ in Christ? Filled with the Holy Spirit?
· How do you feel when you are around these types of people?
· Do you have something to share right now to the group or individual that you’ve been hiding? (Create a safe place to do this)
· Who are people in your life that are holding you accountable?
Do you TRULY want to live, FULLY ALIVE? If yes, then what’s holding you back?
Staff Party Sunday, 4.29.12....Come Celebrate!!!
No agendas. No training. No crying in baseball!
Bring your family, an appetite, and relax with us together as we celebrate YOU and the ministry you partner with us in. We're grillin' some food, playing together, and just relaxing as some need to socialize, play, or just take a break from finals by slacklining;)
The party starts @ 12:30 p.m. Sunday afternoon, and you can leave as you please! Feel free to bring fun yard games if the weather permits!
Brad, Nikki, Kristina, Leanne, Brett